Oh Sugar

 Where to begin...

Friday, I went to the ER for a pain in my arm. At my age, better to not fool around with such things.

After all sorts of tests, I didn't have any answers to the pain in my arm. However, the ER Doc asked if I knew I was a diabetic? That was news to me. It was a whirlwind of no more sweets or juices. I was prescribed 500mg of Metformin. 

I wasn't feeling better on Sunday so, back to the ER. I was feeling dizzy, nauseated, and lightheaded.  After more blood drawn and a CT scan of my head and another hour, another doctor explained it was most likely a combination of the meds and my body adjusting to the new sugar levels. He also said I should follow up with my primary care practitioner.


I went and saw her today. She was nothing short of amazing. She asked a lot of pertinent questions. Now here's the funny(not ha ha) part. She actually.listened.to.me. She listened and I felt heard. A rare happening in this day and age. There were more tests ordered. More blood work, a retinopathy test, to make sure my eyes are ok. That will probably be a few days for that result to come back. In the near future, there will be a CT of my chest and abdomen to see if there is any concern for my now, 9 week cough.

I was told by the Diabetes Coordinator, as long as I watch my food intake and make lifestyle changes, I should be able to manage this disease just fine. 

The ironic thing is , I discovered this after some pretty radical changes already. I cut out most sugar(gotta have my coffee), although that will have to go away now too. I don't eat as much garbage any more, I eat more fruits and salads and other healthy stuff. I've lost, at the lowest, 20 pounds. It's fluctuating but, that's to be expected until I figure stuff out. Overall, I am doing the right stuff as I should be, and I've gone from a size 48 to a 42 and even these are getting loose on me. Of course, I still have the belly but no hips to speak of. I will most likely be in a size 40 before summer.

I need to exercise more at least 30 minutes a day 3 or more days a week. I've got an under the desk bike thingy that I am going to try. There's also an elliptical machine. I suppose, if all else fails there's always that outside thing, if I have to, I guess (HT Red Green).


Since I'm not doing anything else with this space, I will be using it as a record and repository for my diabeetus  journey.


As always,

Just my .02¢ worth, ymmv

Craig 🦨

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dropping dropping

Charlie day 1